Food is Love. Food is History. Food is Magic.
Here, we share those recipes from our programs that highlight them along with a bit magical lore and hidden histories. Enjoy!
Baba Teddy talks Sazarac Cocktails for Hex Education Network
The Real Sazarac Cocktail
Add small amount of absinthe to the bottom of your glass and swirl to coat.
Rim top lip of glass with lemon
Add ice to chill
Pour 1.5 ounces of Cognac over ice
Twist lemon peel to finish.
The Dr. John Cocktail
The Doctor John
Makes 1 drink
1. muddle together 1 slice of galangal root, 1 coin of ginger, 3 mint leaves, 1/2 tsp sasarparilla root
2. after crushing roots, add to shaker.
3. Pour in 1.5 oz of vodka and 1.5 oz of rum.
4. Add 2T Sasarparilla Simple Syrup (recipe below)
5. 2 drops St. John's Bitters (recipe below)
6. Fill with ice and shake vigorously, set aside.
7. coat a glass with 5 to 10 drops of Absinthe.
8. Optional: Add another drop or two of St. John's Wort Bitters to the glass.
9. Optional: Add ice
10. Rim the glass with lime
11. Strain shaker into glass
12. Garnish with fresh mint leaves
Sarsasparilla Simple Syrup: Mix 1 cup water with 1 cup sugar. Add 1/3 cup sarsasparilla root and simmer, stirring until sugar is dissolved and liquid thickens. Turn of heat, stir in 1 ounce Sarsasparilla extract and allow to cool. Strain into jar.
St. John's Wort Bitters: mix equal parts Wormwood extract and St. John's Wort extract.